Region VII had its meeting last Friday on the 9th, and it went spectacularly! We finally got a new Region VII website approved, obtained a teleconference system and approved funding for food at all Region VII General Meetings.
Furthermore, Region held elections for its Vice President vacancy, and Ali Asghar won.
Delegates also chose to sponsor three resolutions:
1. Harnessing the Power of 2.1
2. Baby Changing Stations & Family Restrooms
3. LATTC Solidarity
Delegates prioritized a legislative focus on homeless students, renewal of Prop 30 & Prop 13, as well as helping undocumented students.
An Advocacy Ad-Hoc and an Ad-Hoc to tackle the homeless student issue were started by President Medeiros.
As of now, the failure on Region’s part to advocate has been evident. To amend this a series of goals have been created that will eventually lead to a more effective Region. The current goals President Medeiros has are:
Within a month:
1. Brand New Region Website – Done
2. An Advocacy Ad-Hoc that will possibly transition into a standing committee - Done
3. A plan to improve inter-regional communication – Done
4. Overhauled Governing Documents – Pending
5. Creation of a Fiscal Code – Pending
- This includes a proposal system to use Region money
Within two months:
6. Obtain more funding – Pending
7. Bring all colleges active
8. Push for a major Regional focus on Advocacy with our funding, and Advocacy Committee
Within three months:
9. Plan ahead for the next board
- Maintaining an acceptable level of institutional memory
- Best practices handbooks
More goals will be added as time goes on. All goals with “Pending” are those that are currently being worked on by Region.
We have excellent delegates, as well as excellent board members. When you put a lot of great minds together, you tend to get great results, and this will be the case here. As we move forward into the future, we’ll be doing more advocacy than Region has ever done before. We’ll be more efficient, more effective, and more active than any of our predecessors. We’ll leave behind a framework for all future delegates and board members to jump off of and improve Region VII even more.